The Department of Design and Arts has been established with the inception of the University in 2005, and since then, has been growing rapidly in all aspects and is soon poised to become one of the best art Departments in the Kingdom. The Department of Design and Arts prides itself that ASU Bahrain has been named one of the world’s top 101-150 universities with its best performance is in Art & Design as announced in the twelfth edition of the QS World University Rankings by Subject that was released on April 6, 2022 by QS Quacquarelli Symonds – the international higher education think-tank. This fantastic achievement proves that the Department’s two programmes; Bachelor in Interior Design and Bachelor in Graphic Design are highly trusted by the stakeholders including students and employers. The Department of Design and Arts offers two programmes: Bachelor in Interior Design (Arabic) and Bachelor in Graphic Design (Arabic).
Academic programmes in the Department of Design & Arts:
- Bachelor in Interior Design (Arabic)
- Bachelor in Graphic Design (Arabic)
Bachelor in Interior Design
The Program of Interior Design is a member of the International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers (IFI), and The International Council of Design (ICoD). The programme and designed in alignment with the professional standards of the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA), the program supports interior designers to reflect on the human experience, and the way people perform and interact in the workplace, home, or in public life. Allowing them to focus on providing human well-being by improving the quality of life and protecting human health and safety through the design of indoor environment, so that they are ready to face the exciting challenges and opportunities of the new millennium. During the study, students ’abilities to practice the specialization are built, strengthened and developed through theoretical lectures, studio practice, and critical studies. The process of continued exchange of critique with fellow students and teachers is a major part of the learning process. It is worth mentioning that the Interior Design Programme was placed successfully on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
The Interior Design programme aims to:
- Develop professional graduates in interior design capable of meeting market needs of both local and regional levels.
- Develop expert graduates in applying their specializations, particularly in innovative applications of modern technology, to open broader future opportunities for learning and developing thinking process.
- Develop graduates capable of visioning broader environmental and human contexts while achieving the responsibilities of their specializations.
- Prepare interactive and open-minded graduates capable of following curricular methods, innovative thinking, and responding to cultural and environmental changes
- Carry a humanitarian vision towards society respecting diversity in cultural and employment related requirements, in addition to being mature enough towards the future to achieve sustainability.
Bachelor in Graphic Design
The Graphic Design Programme is a Professional Programme Member of the International Council of Design (ICoD), and it is a significant specialisation in the Bahraini labour market. The Programme Study Plan is designed according to the latest global professional versions of NASAD and according to benchmarking with international, regional and local universities to provide a practical scientific qualification according to the design curricula and innovative thinking in Graphic Design by analysing user behaviours, and interpreting them according to specialised design skills and their applications in publications, multimedia and computer technologies in various areas of Graphic Design to keep pace with the requirements of the Bahraini and regional labour market, enhance communication and use scientific research methods and modern communication technologies. It is worth mentioning that the Graphic Design Programme was placed successfully on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
The Graphic Design programme aims to:
- Prepare a competent graduate who is capable of utilising design curricula, innovative thinking, and research methods in the fields of visual communication, understanding and analysing user behaviours, following up the education to solve graphic problems related to the market, commercial competition, the society and the environment needs, and preparing students to pursue postgraduate studies.
- Provide a stimulating and creative study environment and equip the graduate with specialised design skills and design applications in publications, multimedia, video technologies, user interfaces, animation and computer technologies in various areas of Graphic Design to keep pace with the requirements of the local and regional labour market.
- Enable the graduate to communicate and utilise modern communication techniques, fieldwork, leadership, work in a multidisciplinary team, take responsibility, consider intellectual property issues and contribute to building the local community.