This dual-award programme prepares students for a career as a Civil Engineer. The programme embraces recent industry developments, in particular the introduction of ECUK UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC), and gives students the opportunity to achieve the professional status of Chartered Engineer. The curriculum emphasizes the development of traditional engineering numerical strengths coupled with an enquiring creative approach as required by employers. Developing the latter approach is sometimes difficult but it is our aim to get students to eventually approach with relish a blank sheet of paper and an ill-defined, uncertain brief to which they can develop a rational solution. We do seek to educate, rather than to merely train. Because civil engineering is such a broad area, there are lots of different specialisms for students to consider after graduating, but our degree will give students a solid foundation for entering any of them.
The programme has a first year (Level S) that is shared with the other programmes in ASU’s College of Engineering that is designed to bring school leavers in Bahrain and the Gulf region to a standard appropriate for entry into a Level 4 engineering degree programme equivalent to UK approved engineering programmes. The first year is designed to prepare students with the necessary knowledge and skills to continue with their studies at the specialist levels (Years 2/3/4) of the 4-year programme. The first year covers the fundamentals of mathematics and science, and students also learn how to use relevant technology. During the first year, there are three compulsory modules required by the Higher Education Council in Bahrain namely: ‘Arabic Language’ (or ‘Arabic Language for Non-Arabic Speakers’), ‘Bahain Civilisation and History’ and ‘Human Rights’. These are part of the Kingdom’s strategy to strengthen the level of Arabic language and promote Arabic culture. It is important to note that native Arabic speaking students will study the Arabic Language module, whereas students who do not speak Arabic will study the module Arabic Language for Non-Arabic Speakers.
The B.Eng (Hons) Civil Engineering aims to:
- Produce graduates who are committed to a career in the civil engineering industry with a range of employers in a variety of countries.
- Produce graduates equipped for postgraduate study and to take up responsible professional employment in the construction industry and become lifelong learners with an appreciation of the value to society of an education in civil engineering.
- Produce graduates who have a breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding of the key aspects of civil engineering.
- Allow graduates to acquire and develop analytical and problem-solving skills, and subject-specific skills. In addition, to acquire and develop the ability to evaluate evidence, arguments and assumptions, to reach sound judgements and communicate effectively.
- Develop graduates who approach design problems creatively and who have the technical skills to see their ideas through to
- Create an educational environment that benefits from practical experience.
- Provide an engineering education, centered within the built environment that recognizes the important roles of other professions in the development of the built environment and cultivates interaction and teamwork with these other professionals.
- Provide graduates with the necessary academic qualification to enter advanced postgraduate studies as well as providing the necessary educational base to become a Chartered Engineer.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 69 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 50
- Assessments Yes