The Library of Applied Science University was established along with the establishment of the University in 2004. The University has paid special attention to its library by providing it with an adequate budget to enrich its collections of books, periodicals and electronic materials in all Knowledge fields and by adopting the modern technology and the use of information technology.
The strategic plan of Library of Applied Science University for (2015-2020) includes the vision of becoming distinguished in terms of resources and services and of being the main core source of cultural and scientific knowledge and thoughts at the national and regional levels.
The Library of Applied Science University offers its Services to the university community including the students, the faculty members and the administrative staff, in addition to the researchers from outside the university and from other Universities in Bahrain.
The Library also has publication exchange and gifting relations with many universities and different academic, cultural and scientific institutions.
The library has used computers in all its services and activities in addition it has purchased and operated a new library system, which is called (Future Library System) that is installed since 2010. The library offers the service of databases and online search on its portal “lib.asu.edu.bh” that also contains all the provided services in Arabic and English, the home page includes all the information about the library, also the library provides 9 private research rooms for the community of the university.
The library collection includes 30000 books and 56 paper Journals that cover all fields of knowledge; moreover, the library has an annual subscription to e-books and has the access to databases including electronic journals in full text, library subscriptions includes the following databases:
- Avery Index: Architectural Periodicals offer a comprehensive listing of journal articles published worldwide on architecture and design, archaeology, city planning, interior design, landscape architecture, and historic preservation. Coverage is from the 1930s (with selective coverage dating back to the 1740s) to the present.
- Ebook: Includes around 90000 electronic book in all scientific and humanities subjects.
- ARADO: An Arabic database includes the publications of the Arab Administration Development Organization (Books, theses, periodicals, conferences and other publications).
- EMERALD: Includes a wide collection of journals, books and case studies.
- EBSCO: Includes a collection of books, journals and research databases.
- ACM: One of the most important digital libraries in information technology and computer science.
- The Learn Book: Includes Arabic books and references in all Fields.
Library of Applied Science University offers many services such as photocopying, cloning and circulation service, there are many seats for studying in the main library, and it opens 80 Hours a week from SAT to FRI.
Dr. Ammar Jalamneh
Director of Library and Information Services, Assistant Professor at College of Art and Science